I’d like to start several recommended reading lists in various categories (eventually with links to favorite passages on the rest of this blog). Here is a super basic list (of “the fundamentals”) to get myself started:
- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God by Robert Louis Wilken.
- Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation by James K.A. Smith.
- How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor by James K. A. Smith.
- For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy by Alexander Schmemann.
- The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ by Patrick Henry Reardon. [Father Patrick once told me a few others that he hated this title but that his publisher forced it on him. So don’t judge this book by its title.]
- Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon.