I’d like to start several recommended reading lists in various categories (eventually with links to favorite passages on the rest of this blog). Here are a couple of very basic lists to get myself started.
Some books on Christian theology and worship:
- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God but Robert Louis Wilken
- Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation by James K.A. Smith
- A History of Christian Thought: From the Beginnings to the Council of Chalcedon by Justo L. González (Vol. 1 of 3).
- The Shape of Sola Scriptura by Keith A. Mathison
- The Lamb’s Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn
- Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God by Scott Hahn
Some books by Orthodox authors:
- The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ by Patrick Henry Reardon
- Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon
- Thirsting For God: in a Land of Shallow Wells by Matthew Gallatin
- Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith by Peter E. Gillquist
- Facing East: A Pilgrim’s Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy by Frederica Mathewes-Green